Whilst legislation compliments BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE‘S existing culture of confidentiality and our already established professional practice obligations, we are working to ensure ongoing compliance with the privacy regulations and to ensure best practice.
No exceptions under the Privacy Act apply to personal information that BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE holds.
Collection, Use & Disclosure
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE recognises that the information we collect is often of a highly sensitive nature and as an organisation we have adopted the highest privacy compliance standards relevant to BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE to ensure personal information is protected.
For administrative and billing purposes, and to enable the patient to be attended by other medical practitioners at BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE, patient information is shared between the medical practitioners and other health providers at BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE and the medical practitioners may collect personal information (including health information) regarding patients for the purpose of providing medical services and treatment to patients. Personal information collected will generally include:
- the patient's name, address, telephone number and Medicare number;
- current drugs or treatments used by the patient;
- previous and current medical history, including where clinically relevant a family medical history, and
- the name of any health service provider or medical specialist to whom the patient is referred, copies of any letters of referrals and copies of any reports back.
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE may access information:
- provided directly by the patient;
- provided on the patient's behalf with the patient's consent;
- from a health service provider who refers the patient to medical practitioners providing services at or from BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE; or
- from health service providers to whom patients are referred.
Personal information collected by BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE may be used or disclosed:
- for the purpose the patient was advised of at the time of collection of the information by us;
- as required for delivery of the health service to the patient;
- as required for the ordinary operation of our services (i.e. to refer the patient to a medical specialist or other health service provider);
- as required under compulsion of law; or
- Where there is a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health, or safety; or a serious threat to public health or public safety.
Other than as described in this Policy or permitted under the Health Privacy Principles BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE uses its reasonable endeavours to ensure that identifying health information is not disclosed to any person.
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE keeps health information for a minimum of 7 years from the date of last entry in the patient record (unless the patient was a child in which case the record must be kept until the patient attains or would have attained 25 years of age).
Because of the sensitive nature of the information collected by BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE to provide its services, extra precautions are taken to ensure the security of that information. Information may be stored electronically and/ or hard copy. All electronically stored files are password-protected on several levels, and regular backups performed.
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE requires its employees to observe obligations of confidentiality in the course of their employment with all staff signing Confidentiality Agreements. BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE requires independent contractors to sign a confidentiality undertaking.
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE may contract out the following services:
- locum general practitioner services; or
- Administrative & financial services.
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE may use or disclose personal information for quality assurance, training, billing, liaising with government offices regarding Medicare & centrelink entitlements and payments and as may be required by BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE’S insurers.
Accessing your information, complaints and obtaining further information
If an individual wishes to:
- complain to BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE about a breach of privacy; or
- access his or her own information held by an BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE; or
- correct any information held by BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE concerning his or her own information; or
- find out more about how BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE deals with personal information, that individual can contact:
BOSTON BAY FAMILY HEALTH PRACTICE
10 new west Rd
Port Lincoln SA 5606